Stretcher Bearers from the 161st Overseas Battalion
Description: Back row (l-r): D. McClinchey, Unidentified, H. Whitmore, J.C. Hutton, Jim Priest, Unidentified Sergeant, Neil Sparks, Unidentified, Harry Johnston, Milton J. Cook ..Front row (l-r): Unidentified Corporal, Bill McNaughton, F.G. Thompson, William Appleby, Unidentified, Chas Thompson, Unidentified, Unidentified, Bill Sloman...Date: 1916...Object ID : 2007.0062.157.
The 161st (Huron) Battalion, CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in London, Ontario, the unit began recruiting in late 1915 in Huron County. After sailing to England in November 1916, the battalion was absorbed into the 4th Reserve Battalion on February 15, 1918. The 161st (Huron) Battalion, CEF had two Officer Commanding: Lieut-Col. H. B. Combe (October 30, 1916—May 16, 1917) and Lieut-Col. R. Murdie, DSO (June 28, 1917—February 23, 1918).