No. 7, about 1940-1945
Photographer: J. Gordon Henderson ( http://digital.huroncounty.ca/about-the-collection/j-gordon-henderson ) ..Description: .Black and white image of No. 7 at No. 31 Air Navigation School in Port Albert. There are two rows of men in uniform. The back row is standing and the front row is sitting on chairs inside. In all copies of the photograph the men are identified by last name. In three copies of the picture, the names appear across the men's chests. In another copy the names are written above the heads in the top row and below the feet in the bottom row. 'Henderson Studio Photo No 7' appears in the bottom right hand corner of all the photographs and the negative. The men are not identified in the negative. Back Row (L to R): Newcomb, Humphries, Russell, Norris, Clement, Eckersley, Phillips, Stanely, Carreck, Sykes Front Row (L to R): Ward, Banfield, Law, Thomas, Keast, Green, Ratcliffe, Dinnage, Atkinson Original negative (labelled a) accompanied by 4 black and white/sepia photographs with different exposures (labelled b - e). The photographs and negative were kept in a black envelope with '852 RAF Port Albert No. 7' written in blue ink on a white label. ..Object ID : A992.0003.100..View this item in the Huron County Museum & Historic Gaol's collections database. ( http://digital.huroncounty.ca/objects/A992.0003.100/A992.0003.100a ) ..Order a higher-quality version of this item (fee applies). ( http://digital.huroncounty.ca/reproductions/order/A992.0003.100a )
During World War II, Goderich Airport hosted No. 12 Elementary Flying Training School for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, providing initial pilot training for aircrews using the Fleet Finch.No. 12 EFTS opened on October 14, 1940 and closed on July 14, 1944.