No. 6 Sky Harbour Class, about 1940-1943
Photographer: J. Gordon Henderson ( http://digital.huroncounty.ca/about-the-collection/j-gordon-henderson ) ..Description: .Black and white image of class 6 of No. 12 Elementary Flight Training School. There are three rows of men in uniform. The two back rows are standing and the front row is sitting on a runway with at least 2 airplanes visible in the background. Back Row (left to right): Welch, Watson, Giles, ?, Kruidenier [?], ?, Mothony Middle Row (left to right): Weber, W.F. Brown, Sherman, ?, Mercer, Lancaster, Hicks, ?, Parsons, Stocks, Gerwich, L. Hirrondelle [?], McCullough Front Row (left to right): Crosse, Vallance, Wilson, G.W. Brown, Copeland, 'P.O.' Swansbergson, Rioux, Vayney, ?, Chipman There are 4 black and white photographs with different exposures (labelled a-d) and 2 negatives (labelled e and f). The photographs were in a brown envelope with '871 No 21 Sky Harbor' written in blue ink and '6' written in blue pencil. ..Object ID : A992.0003.017..View this item in the Huron County Museum & Historic Gaol's collections database. ( http://digital.huroncounty.ca/objects/A992.0003.017/A992.0003.017e ) ..Order a higher-quality version of this item (fee applies). ( http://digital.huroncounty.ca/reproductions/order/A992.0003.017e )
During World War II, Goderich Airport hosted No. 12 Elementary Flying Training School for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, providing initial pilot training for aircrews using the Fleet Finch.No. 12 EFTS opened on October 14, 1940 and closed on July 14, 1944.