Holding Unit, about 1940-1944, World War II photo
Photographer: J. Gordon Henderson ( http://digital.huroncounty.ca/about-the-collection/j-gordon-henderson ) ..Description: .Black and white image of a large group of men posing in front of an airplane hanger with several airplanes visible in the background. Some of the airplanes have their back up in the air. There are five rows of men in uniform: the two back rows are standing, the next two rows are sitting on chairs, and the very front row is sitting on the ground with two propellers in front of them. The two negatives (labelled a and b) were accompanied by one black and white print (labelled c) and they were all kept in a brown envelope with '1051 Holding Unit Sky Harbour Mrs. Clement unntd 50 [cents] paid' written on it in blue ink and pencil. Also in the envelope was A992.0003.123 and two pieces of scrap paper (now found with A992.003.124c) ..Object ID : A992.0003.124..View this item in the Huron County Museum & Historic Gaol's collections database. ( http://digital.huroncounty.ca/objects/A992.0003.124/A992.0003.124a ) ..Order a higher-quality version of this item (fee applies). ( http://digital.huroncounty.ca/reproductions/order/A992.0003.124a )
Goderich Airport (ICAO: CYGD), also known as Goderich Municipal Airport, is a registered aerodrome located 1.5 nautical miles (2.8 km; 1.7 mi) north of Goderich, Ontario, Canada. The aerodrome is best known as the home of Sky Harbour Aircraft, an aircraft paint shop. During World War II, Goderich Airport hosted No. 12 Elementary Flying Training School for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, providing initial pilot training for aircrews using the Fleet Finch. No. 12 EFTS opened on October 14, 1940 and closed on July 14, 1944.
During World War II, Goderich Airport hosted No. 12 Elementary Flying Training School for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, providing initial pilot training for aircrews using the Fleet Finch.No. 12 EFTS opened on October 14, 1940 and closed on July 14, 1944.